Two horses ‘poisoned to death’ after eating picnic scraps left by walkers during lockdown – The Sun

TWO horses died after they ate picnic crumbs left by folk out exercising during lockdown.

Rescue pony Flossie, aged three, and Merry Legs, eight, both had sweating and frothing symptoms, a sign of ­poisoning.

⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates

Leftover corn cobs and food wrappers was found in their field near Melton Mowbray, Leics.

Flossie’s devastated owner Lisa-Michelle Hall, 41, said: "We initially thought Flossie had died after having a fall.

"But then when Merry Legs was found and both horses had the same sweating and frothing symptoms it was clear that it was poisoning.

“We found lots of rubbish people had left from a picnic."

Flossie was rescued after being abandoned as a young foal and had only been in Lisa-Michelle's care for eight months.

Lisa-Michelle said the public footpath going through the field saw "the odd walker", but recently there had been a "massive influx of people".

She urged people to take more care when they are out exercising in fields and along bridleways.

Lisa-Michelle added: "No-one should leave unwanted food or throw their rubbish into a field because this is what can happen."


Don't miss the latest news and figures – and essential advice for you and your family.

To receive The Sun's Coronavirus newsletter in your inbox every tea time, sign up here.
To follow us on Facebook, simply 'Like' our Coronavirus page.

Get Britain's best-selling newspaper delivered to your smartphone or tablet each day – find out more.

Source: Read Full Article