Mother jailed for assault on baby girl that left her with brain damage

Mother, 27, is jailed for 14 years after causing ‘catastrophic’ injuries that left her two month old daughter with permanent brain damage

  • Sarah Ngaba, 27, caused ‘catastrophic injuries’ to her two-month-old daughter
  • Stafford Crown Court heard she ‘permanently destroyed quality of baby’s life’
  • Ngaba repeatedly lied to medics about how her baby had become unresponsive
  • She was jailed for 14 years after being convicted causing grievous bodily harm

Pictured: Sarah Ngaba, 27, has been jailed for 14 years after causing catastrophic injuries to her two-month-old baby

A mother who battered her two-month-old daughter leaving her with permanent brain damage has been jailed for 14 years.

Sarah Ngaba, 27, caused ‘catastrophic injuries’ to her child and failed to seek medical help for more than two hours following the attack in November 2019.

A court heard how Ngaba repeatedly lied about how her baby had become ‘floppy and unresponsive’ when she took her to hospital.

The 27-year-old also lied throughout the police investigation, the court was told. 

Medics later concluded the young child suffered injuries consistent with a severe assault and Ngaba later admitted hitting the child, but claimed she did not mean to injure her.

However, prosecutors argued the nature and severity of the young child’s injuries indicated Ngaba had intended to cause serious harm. 

Jurors heard how the girl suffered ‘life-threatening and life-limiting injuries’ as a result of the attack, which had ‘permanently destroyed the quality of her life’.

Ngaba, of Telford, Shrops., was jailed at Stafford Crown Court on Monday after being found guilty of causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

Warren Stanier, from the Crown Prosecution Service, said afterwards: ‘By her actions, Sarah Ngaba has permanently destroyed the quality of her baby’s life.

‘Her baby was left with severe disability and will be entirely dependent on others for the rest of her life.’

Ngaba, who eventually admitted hitting her child but denied intending to cause harm, was handed 14 years at Stafford Crown Court (pictured) for grievous bodily harm with intent

He said the defendant had ‘changed her account many times’ and tried to blame the baby’s father who was not present at the time of the attack in Brookside, Telford.

Det Insp Jo Whitehead, of West Mercia Police, added: ‘This is a significant custodial sentence for such an incredibly distressing case.

‘Ngaba displayed the total opposite behaviour to that which would be expected of a caring mother.

‘Her horrific actions have resulted in her daughter’s future quality of life sadly being permanently diminished.’

Source: Read Full Article