Grandfather, 87, heads home after two week battle with coronavirus

Heartwarming moment grandfather, 87, leaves hospital in arm of NHS medic as he heads home to his wife after two week battle with coronavirus

  • Grandfather Ewart Lockton, 87, had battled against coronavirus for two weeks
  • He has now recovered and was snapped leaving North Manchester Hospital 
  • His delighted granddaughter shared the photo which shows him with a medic
  • Mr Lockton will now complete his recovery at his home with his wife Phyllis 
  • Coronavirus symptoms: what are they and should you see a doctor?

A touching photo shows the moment a grandfather, 87, was escorted out of a hospital arm-in-arm with an NHS medic after recovering from coronavirus.

Ewart Lockton, from Manchester, had been battling the killer virus and pneumonia at North Manchester Hospital for two weeks.

But he managed to beat the infection and, wearing a face mask, was able to leave the hospital while being supported by a smiling member of staff. 

Mr Lockton is now completing his recovery at home with his wife Phyllis. 

Ewart Lockton, from Manchester, had been battling coronavirus and pneumonia at North Manchester Hospital for two weeks but has now gone back home

His delighted granddaughter shared a photo of Mr Lockton with a nurse as he left hospital to go home

His delighted granddaughter Sophie Edwards shared the news on her Facebook page, along with a photo of Mr Lockton. 

She said: ‘We all need to hear some positive stories. This is my 87-year-old grandpa saying goodbye to staff at North Manchester Hospital where he’s been for two weeks with covid positive pneumonia.’

She continued: ‘He’s now finishing his recovery where he belongs, at home with my grandma!

‘Thank you to everyone for all their kindness and support through a difficult time and most of all…..thanks to the NHS.’

Thousands reacted to her post, praising the NHS staff for their hard work and giving their best wishes to Mr Lockton. 

The 87-year-old’s friend Colin Davies also shared a picture of the recovered grandfather on Facebook. 

Mr Lockton will complete his recovery at home with his wife Phyllis after spending two weeks at the hospital in Manchester

He said: ‘Was delighted to get a phone call from my good friend, 87 year old Ewart Lockton last night. 

He has been discharged from North Manchester Hospital where he has been for 2 weeks with Covid Positive Pneumonia. 

‘He is now completing his recovery at home with his wife Phyllis. 

‘Great to have some good news at this worrying time.’

It comes as Britain’s growing coronavirus death toll today jumped to 477 after Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland all confirmed a dozen more fatalities.

England has yet to declare its daily COVID-19 figures but scores more deaths are expected to be announced.

Meanwhile, a grief-stricken son today described the ‘pure torture’ of watching his 83-year-old mother ‘suffocate to death’ because of coronavirus and revealed that he now he has to self-isolate from his three children. 

Michael Hardy, 47, watched his 83-year-old mother Rachael pass away at Northwich Park Hospital, Harrow, after the killer virus ravaged her lungs and left her gasping for breath. 

Mrs Hardy, a former NHS nurse with chronic asthma, had bravely battled coronavirus since March 10 – but her condition worsened violently last week and she died last Friday.

Source: Read Full Article