Drunk driver, 32, who killed nurse in 70mph police chase is jailed

Drunk driver, 32, who killed a ‘dedicated and compassionate’ nurse in 70mph police chase outside a hospital is jailed for seven and a half years

  • Kieron Davies, 32, ploughed into Wilbert Catalan Llobrera on October 22
  • Mr Llobrera, a nurse, had finished a 13-hour shift at Wrexham Maelor Hospital
  • Davies was fleeing police in his Vauxhall Astra after a drinking session
  • Emergency services colleagues tried to save Llobrera, but he died at the scene
  • Davies appeared Mold Crown Court on Friday, where he was sentenced

A drink driver who killed a ‘dedicated and compassionate’ nurse in a 70mph police chase outside a hospital was jailed for seven and a half years on Friday.  

Kieron Davies, 32, ploughed into Wilbert Catalan Llobrera after a drinking session and left him for dead after a 13-hour shift at the NHS hospital.

Emergency services desperately tried in vain to save the life father Mr Llobrera, 46, after he was hit by the Vauxhall Astra driven by Davies being followed by police.

But he was pronounced dead at the scene – before his colleagues at Wrexham Maelor Hospital in North Wales could save him.

Simon Rogers, prosecuting, said Mr Llobrera had just finished a 13-hour shift and was going home.

Wilbert Catalanl Lobrera (left) died after being struck by a car outside Wrexham Maelor Hospital, where he worked as a nurse. Kieron Davies, 32 (right), was driving the car that struck Lobrera. On Friday, he was jailed for seven and a half years 

PC Richard Priamo was on patrol in an unmarked police car when he was concerned about Davies’ driving, seeing he had a defective headlight and was in the middle of the carriageway.

Mr Rogers said: ‘PC Priamo activated his blue lights and followed him onto a 20 mile per hour road.

‘But Davies was going so fast, the officer could not even see him despite pursuing at 53 miles per hour.’

He later saw the vehicle braking harshly – and as he approached the hospital he became aware of a man lying in the road and stopped to offer help alongside a number of nurses and members of the public.

Despite efforts to save his life, Mr Llobrera was pronounced dead at the scene.

A security guard estimated the car was travelling at between 70 and 80 miles per hour.

When arrested he was ‘argumentative and aggressive’, swearing at an officer and banging his head on the cell in the police car.

Paul Smith, defending, said: ‘Davies recognises how serious his offending is. He recognises that he has taken a life.

Judge Niclas Parry said: ‘This father of an eight-year-old daughter, a dedicated and compassionate health worker, was leaving the hospital after a 13 hour shift.

‘He crossed the road but had the misfortune of coming across you – as stark a contrast in personality from himself as one could imagine.

‘You were using your car as a toy and the public road in built up areas as a playground. What happened defies belief. The car was clearly out of control.

Llobrera, father to his 8-year-old daughter, was described as a ‘dedicated and compassionate’ health worker, who had just finished a 13-hour shift at Wrexham Maelor Hospital when he was killed outside by the speeding vehicle

‘You struck your victim and quite disgracefully drove on, leaving Mr Llobrera for dead without a care for his wellbeing.

‘Any decent person would have wanted to help. You then made aggressive efforts to find an escape route. You were drunk, you were uninsured and disqualified. This was a prolonged piece of very bad driving.’

After his death hundreds of people donated more than £13,000 in memory of the devoted family man.

Elinor Smith, one of the organisers of the fundraiser, paid a moving tribute to Mr Llobrera.

She said: ‘Our kind and caring Wilbert sadly passed away. He was a devoted husband and proud dad to his daughter, who has been left devastated by his passing.

‘During these already difficult times with the family’s permission, I have set up this go fund me page to help the family. This money will be given to the family to use in whichever way they feel they would like to use it.

Wrexham Maelor Hospital, where Wilbert Catalan Llobrera had just finished a 13-hour shift before being struck and killed by a car driven by Kieron Davies on October 22

‘Wilbert was always full of life and so caring to his family, friends, colleagues and patients. He will be sadly missed by all.’

Davies admitted driving dangerously on October 22 this year while uninsured, disqualified from driving and under the influence of alcohol.

Judge Niclas Parry also disqualified him from driving for eight years and nine months.

Davies, of Pentre Broughton, appeared at Mold Crown Court today, where he was sentenced to seven years and six months.

Detective Inspector Eleri Thomas said: ‘Our thoughts are with Mr Llobrera’s family, friends and colleagues. This was a tragic and wholly avoidable incident brought about by Kieron Davies’s totally reckless and selfish behaviour.

‘I hope Davies will use his time behind bars to reflect on the devastation and sorrow he has caused Wilbert’s family and all his colleagues at Wrexham Maelor Hospital.’

Source: Read Full Article