Coronavirus Q&A: Your snap lockdown questions answered

For our free coronavirus pandemic coverage, learn more here.

The state is entering another snap lockdown from 11.59pm on Thursday, this time for at least seven days.

Here we will aim to answer the questions Victorians are asking, based on the latest information the state government have provided.

People wait to get a COVID-19 test in Collingwood on Wednesday. Credit:Joe Armao

Check back regularly as this story will be updated to reflect new information as it comes to light.

What are the latest stage three lockdown measures?

There are only five reasons to leave home for the next seven days, one more than when the last stage-three restrictions were in place. They are:

What if there are no shops within five kilometres of my home?

You are allowed to travel to the nearest store. Common sense applies.

Where must I wear a mask?

From midnight, face masks must be worn both inside and outside, unless you are at your home. Those caught breaching the rules face a $200 on-the-spot fine.

Police check to see if passengers are wearing a mask on a train at Southern Cross station last week.Credit:Justin McManus

Can I travel to regional areas or parks near my home to exercise?

Victorians can only exercise within a five-kilometre radius of their homes. If you’re lucky enough to live by the water or a park, then you can spend up to two hours there daily with up to one other person.

Who can visit my home?

Visitors are banned from homes unless that person is your intimate partner. Single-person bubbles will also be permitted if you live alone, allowing one person to visit you.

What is banned under stage three rules?

Public gatherings and community sport. Hotels, clubs, TAB and casinos, swimming pools, spas and saunas, hairdressing and beauty salons, galleries and museums will all remain closed.

Can I collect items from stores near me?

Yes. Click-and-collect services will be permitted at certain “general retail” stores.

Can I still buy pizza and pasta from my favourite restaurant?

Yes. Restaurants, pubs and cafes can operate as takeaway venues only. This means you can have your favourite meals delivered to your home and continue to support local businesses.

What are the rules for funerals and weddings?

A limit of 10 people, plus those running the service, has been placed on funerals for the next seven days. Weddings are banned unless end-of-life or deportation reasons exist.

Can I attend church this weekend?

All religious services must move online only. People cannot attend their local church of mosque for the next seven days.

I am an authorised worker, what happens to my children?

Childcare, family daycare and kindergartens will remain open. Schools will move to remote online learning unless a parent is an authorised worker. Vulnerable children or children of authorised workers can attend school as normal.

What is an authorised worker?

These rules are similar to those applied during the last stage-three lockdown, with the addition of construction and urgent oral care workers. The full list can be accessed here. Authorised workers must be employed to work at authorised providers. These include but are not limited to: supermarkets and food stores, bottle shops, courts, labour hire firms, post offices, newsagents, pharmacies, petrol stations, veterinarians, meat processing plants, locksmiths, takeaway hospitality venues, mechanical repairs, dry cleaners and commercial cleaners.

Marvel Stadium in Docklands was listed as an exposure site on Wednesday.Credit:Wayne Taylor

Will crowds be able to attend footy matches this week?

No. Approved professional sporting events can proceed but without crowds.

Can I travel to my holiday home for the next week?

Where you are tonight is where you need to be for the duration of the lockdown. That’s the message from acting Premier James Merlino.

Do I need a permit to move around for work?

No. Those who were deemed authorised workers during the last lockdowns will continue to be treated as such this time. Construction workers and urgent oral care workers will also be permitted to operate this time.

I’ve been vaccinated. Do these restrictions apply to me?

Yes. There have been no exemptions announced for people who have been vaccinated. This isn’t expected to change anytime soon.

I live in regional Victoria and there are no coronavirus cases near me. Do I have to move into stage-three lockdown?

Yes. The lockdown applies to all Victorians. No hard border between regional Victoria and metropolitan Melbourne has been announced at this stage.

Can residential construction continue? Can my house build go ahead?

Yes. Construction has been added to the authorised worker list for Victoria. All construction operations can continue, both residential and non-residential, and regardless of the number of tenancies. All work should enable physical distancing of at least 1.5 metres between workers and occupants. Quotations are also permitted.

Sign up to our Coronavirus Update newsletter

Get our Coronavirus Update newsletter for the day’s crucial developments at a glance, the numbers you need to know and what our readers are saying. Sign up to The Sydney Morning Herald’s newsletter here and The Age’s here.

Most Viewed in National

From our partners

Source: Read Full Article