KIND-hearted Brits have donated more than £50,000 to the devastated family of the UK's youngest coronavirus victim in just 24 hours.
Ismail Mohamed Abdulwahab, 13, died in King's College Hospital in London on Monday after testing positive for the deadly disease.
⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates
The teenager tragically passed away without his mum or six siblings by his side due to the contagiousness of the disease.
Well-wishers have now donated more than £50,000 to Ismail's heartbroken family on a GoFundMe page set up to help pay for his funeral costs.
A statement on behalf of the family, from Brixton, South West London, has been posted today on the fundraising page thanking Brits for their contribution.
They said: "The family is overwhelmed and grateful to all the donors and prayers, may Allah bless you and reward you all."
He told how Ismail had started showing symptoms for the deadly disease and had "difficulties breathing" so was admitted to King's College Hospital.
A statement added: "He was put on a ventilator and then put into an induced coma but sadly died yesterday morning.
"To our knowledge he had no underlying health conditions. We are beyond devastated."
YOUNGSTERS 'STILL AT RISK'
Mr Stephenson also revealed Ismail's dad had recently lost his fight against cancer in a double tragedy for the family.
He said: "Ismail was tested positive for covid19.
"They have not released the body yet, as the coroner wants to do an autopsy – I'm assuming due to his young age and not having underlying conditions."
A hospital spokesman confirmed: "Sadly, a 13-year old boy who tested positive for COVID-19 has passed away, and our thoughts and condolences are with the family at this time.
"The death has been referred to the Coroner and no further comment will be made.”
Boris Johnson's chief medical adviser, Professor Chris Whitty had previously warned young people were still at risk of the virus.
He said: "The great majority will have a mild or moderate disease and will get through this.
"But there will be some young people who will have severe disease, even though they are otherwise young and healthy – and we have seen cases around the world."
It comes after a teen boy from Portugal became the youngest victim of the coronavirus in Europe.
Vitor Godinho, 14, tragically died in a hospital near Porto in the early hours of Sunday morning after falling ill with the virus.
And new analysis, published in The Lancet Infectious Diseases, has showed an increase in risk for coronavirus once a person reaches middle age.
The study revealed a very low death rate in those under the age of 20, although it found they are not at a lower risk of infection than older adults.
It comes after a heartbroken dad paid tribute to his "very healthy" 19-year-old son after he died from coronavirus at a London hospital.
CORONAVIRUS CRISIS – STAY IN THE KNOW
Don't miss the latest news and figures – and essential advice for you and your family.
To receive The Sun's Coronavirus newsletter in your inbox every tea time, sign up here.
To follow us on Facebook, simply 'Like' our Coronavirus page.
Get Britain's best-selling newspaper delivered to your smartphone or tablet each day – find out more.
Luca Di Nicola, originally from Italy but living in North London, is one of the UK's youngest Covid-19 victim with no underlying health conditions.
The teenager had visited his GP with coronavirus symptoms last week but was reportedly given paracetamol and told he had "nothing to worry about".
But his condition worsened and he was rushed to North Middlesex Hospital after his lips "turned purple" and he collapsed.
The teen passed away the next day on March 24.
His dad Mirko Di Nicolahas told La Repubblica newspaper he has since received a letter from North Middlesex Hospital confirming his son had tested positive for the killer virus.
It comes as the UK coronavirus death rate doubled yesterday as 381 people died in 24 hours.
The latest figures from the Department of Health reveal 381 people have died in 24 hours after a rise of 180 deaths in the same time period yesterday.
In England, the NHS confirmed the death rate had also more than doubled from 159 on Monday to 367 in the biggest 24-hour leap so far.
The latest victims were aged between 19 and 98 – with 28 having no previous medical conditions – bringing the total death toll in the country to 1,651.
Source: Read Full Article