Mrs Brown’s Boys’ Gary Hollywood says BBC ‘Let him down’ amid pay row

Mrs Brown’s Boys star Gary Hollywood has claimed the BBC let him down after he raised concerns over his treatment on the sitcom.

The 41-year-old has been locked in a row over pay behind the scenes for years.

And he claims he was dropped from one of this year’s festive episodes with no explanation.

But he says when he looked to BBC execs for support, they failed to help.

In an explosive interview, he said: “They have a duty of care to me to explain things. But I wasn’t given an explanation about why I wasn’t in an episode and why I was losing a fee.

“They could have handled this better. It didn’t have to come to this.”

Last week it emerged MPs have called on the BBC to reveal how much it has spent countering claims regarding pay and discrimination on other shows.

Gary has launched a legal battle against Brendan O’Carroll and the Beeb.

The actor has lodged legal papers for a claim of constructive dismissal and workplace discrimination.

In his only interview, he told the Daily Star Sunday: “I feel I wasn’t being paid equally and I wasn’t being given an explanation for decisions. When I tried to resolve it, nothing was done. I was just disregarded.

“But I won’t put up with it any more. I won’t be ­treated like that. This has gone too far. They shouldn’t do this to people.

“I am taking legal action. The papers have been lodged for a tribunal and the process has now started.”

  • Mrs Brown's Boys' Brendan O'Carroll lifts lid on why beloved star left show

A BBC spokeswoman ­declined to comment on Gary’s allegations and a representative for Mrs Brown’s Boys said: “No comment.”

Gary’s legal bid is the latest crisis to hit the show.

Yesterday it emerged ratings have dropped to the lowest in almost a decade.

The special on Christmas Day was watched by just 3.8million viewers.

An insider said: “This is a nightmare for the BBC. It has signed up to air the show for another six years, but it is losing viewers in the millions.”

The show is due to continue airing on the BBC until 2026 as part of a new deal.

  • BBC

Source: Read Full Article