Andrew Neil says he 'will not broadcast hate' on GB News
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.
GB News is set to premiere on Sunday with former BBC news presenter Andrew Neil fronting the news channel. He will present the launch programme on Sunday and then have his own 8pm show four nights a week. Another name that has jumped ship from the BBC is Simon McCoy, while Alastair Stewart parted ways with ITV and will host a weekend show. Kirsty Gallacher has also left Sky and will take the reins for the breakfast team.
Ahead of its launch, Neil has teased viewers with what they can expect from the channel which will run from 6am to midnight every day.
In a new interview with Radio Times, the 72-year-old admitted the GB News teams will have a completely different way of “packaging the news”.
He went on to add that what they have learned from America, which is always ahead of Britain when it comes to presenting the news, is that “rolling news” doesn’t go down well with viewers.
“We won’t be doing rolling news, we won’t even be doing news bulletins,” the TV presenter confessed.
He continued: “The content we select will be chosen by the presenters and their editors.
“It won’t be just the style of the shows that will be different, I think the content will be different.”
GB News is hoping to provide viewers with 6,500 hours of television each year.
It will air on various platforms including Youview on channel 236 whereas Sky and Virgin Media are putting it on channels 515 and 626 respectively.
In order to contribute to the network, the broadcaster quit his role on the BBC after more than 20 years.
His decision to leave the BBC came after they decided to cancel his programme, The Andrew Neil Show, last year.
The politics show was taken off air during the pandemic and BBC Two later announced it wouldn’t return to its schedule amid cuts.
Posting from his official Twitter account at the time, Neil said: “Despite sterling efforts by new Director-General to come up with other programming opportunities.
Why is Louise Minchin leaving BBC Breakfast? Statement in full [INSIGHT]
The Yorkshire Vet: Peter Wright addresses new career move [NEWS]
Naga Munchetty defiantly hits back as BBC called propaganda merchants [VIDEO]
“It could not quite repair the damage done when Andrew Neil Show cancelled early summer and Politics Live taken off the air,” his tweet continued.
“But I leave with no animosity or desire to settle scores. I look back on my 25 years doing live political programmes for the BBC with affection.”
Since his departure from the BBC, Neil has been vocal about his move to GB News and admitted he would never have become the chairman had the BBC shown him more loyalty.
“What they did was unnecessary, and I left with a heavy heart,” he explained.
The presenter added: “There was almost no contact with me whatsoever, which did rankle, but what’s done is done.
“I have not dwelt on it. I must be the only presenter on the BBC who has stepped down and not rushed in and given them a kicking.”
“I’ve not done that and don’t intend to. I’ve no fight with the BBC.”
Neil went on to add that he expects to take viewers from Sky and the BBC but mostly believes people who have stopped watching news programmes will tune in.
GB News will launch on Sunday, June 13.
Source: Read Full Article