'The path meant to be'
It has been quite a wild ride for Tampa Bay Rays pitcher Nick Anderson. From jail, probation, working odd jobs, and independent ball to being one of the best relievers in MLB and a major cog in the Rays' bullpen. Anderson shared his story with our Bob Nightengale.
In a bizarre twist, our second story of perseverance comes from Wake Forest freshman Nick Andersen. The freshman walk-on had a huge game Saturday against Virginia Tech snagging three interceptions.
Now, he's on scholarship.
'He's like me and Jesus'
Former PGA Tour player and two-time major champion John Daly sure has an interesting way with words. Daly, who says he has been friends with President Trump for years and calls him "DADDY TRUMP" (emphasis his), attended the presidential debate and offered up glowing words for the commander-in-chief.
Must-read stories from week that was
- 'That was insane': Game 4 of the World Series was one of the wildest finishes in the history of the Fall Classic.
- Breakout star: American Molly Seidel conquers 'demons' and the marathon.
- 'No more excuses': Toronto Raptors coach Nick Nurse urging Americans in Canada to vote.
- Family first: Kansas star opts out of season to be with ailing mother.
- Tua Time: The insertion of the No. 5 overall pick could mark the beginning of a new era for the Dolphins. But Fins fans should give props to Ryan Fitzpatrick, the veteran QB 'heartbroken' over his demotion.
- Run over? Even if he keeps his job at Wichita State, the growing list of allegations against Gregg Marshall suggests he will no longer be able to recruit, relate to, and lead players as he once did
- 'You have to start somewhere': Playoff plan provides a path for MLB to have fans in stands in 2021.
- 'NOT typical times': WNBA champs take rare stance in endorsing presidential candidate.
- Naturally:Bubba Wallace will drive the No. 23 (what else could it be!) for Michael Jordan's new NASCAR team.
- Thanks for the free Taco Bell, Mookie!
- QUADRUPLE. DOINK.
- Former Astros GM Jeff Luhnow just doesn't get it.
- The Bucs and the NFL are sending a bad message to women, writes Nancy Armour.
- DK Metcalf is unreal.
- Mickey Mantle's boyhood home was sold at auction.
- Troy Aikman defends himself after comments criticizing flyover.
- That's using your head! Er, feet.
- Scott Dixon won the IndyCar championship for the sixth time.
- Tommy Tuberville's race for U.S. Senate seat short on substance, insiders say.
- Everyone had some fun with Daniel Jones' less-than-graceful run.
- Colin Kaepernick has been named to Nevada's athletics hall of fame.
- It's almost time for the NBA to start up again.
Watch this video from our friends at SportsKind
Washington Football Team head coach Ron Rivera was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma and started treatment as the season began.
This is the moment he completed his final treatment.
Great buys from our friends at Reviewed.com
These durable workout gloves are my 'holy grail' fitness item—here's why we're obsessed.
10 squat-proof leggings that can withstand any workout.
15 things you need if you just bought a Peloton.
Your inbox would approve!
Want more content like this in your inbox? Sign up for USA TODAY Sports' daily sports newsletter, where you'll get the biggest news and trending topics delivered each morning. And we also have an exclusive NFL newsletter (4th & Monday) to satisfy your inbox's appetite.
See you on social
And for more great sports stories from across the USA TODAY Network, check out sports.usatoday.com daily. And don't forget to follow USA TODAY Sports on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.
Source: Read Full Article