STAYCATIONS are a bigger holiday trend than ever this year – as many of us look to play it safe and stick to the UK for a holiday.
Fortunately, Britain has some fantastic places to visit with heaps of variety and activities that will appeal to all types of traveller.
This article contains affiliate links and if you click a link and buy a product we may earn revenue
Self-catered holiday company Snaptrip recently picked its top 10 UK staycation destinations, and some may surprise you.
As well as the typically popular south-west spots of Cornwall and Devon, there are destinations you may not have thought to visit – including the Isle of Sky and Pembrokeshire.
And with self-catered holidays hoping to welcoming guests back again from April 12, and groups of up to six people from different households or unlimited numbers of people from two households able to holiday together from May 17, now's the time to book.
Read on to find out the top 10 destinations and find some great deals for a break.
With its golden sand, coastal paths and seaside towns, Cornwall is favourite staycation destination for a reason.
Away from the beach there's lots of occupy – kids will love exploring the space-age domes of the Eden Project, while adults are spoilt for choice for amazing food, with a number of celebrity chef restaurants in the county – from Nathan Outlaw to Rick Stein.
- Snaptrip 3-night breaks from £291 per stay
- Airbnb 3-night breaks from £59 per night
- Cornwall Hideaways 3-night breaks from £662 per stay
There's a whole host of landscapes to explore in Devon – giving those who visit lots of variety and freedom.
There's beaches of course, where you can surf, kayak, swim or just enjoy walking the rugged coastal paths, but then there;s also the wildness of Dartmoor.
And that's before you even get to its cities – from Exeter to Torquay, Dartmouth and Totnes, where you can find great shopping, pubs and restaurants, as well as a lot of history.
- Snaptrip 3-night breaks from £255 per stay
- Sykes Cottages 3-night breaks from £261 per stay
- CoolStays 3-night breaks from £60 per night
You're never far from the water in Norfolk, which packs in long beaches, marches and waterways – all of which are dotted with pretty flint houses.
It's a great place to visit for nature lovers who can roam the Norfolk Broads or spot birds at the seaside, but if you want to experience the bustle of a city – Norwich with its cathedral, lively market and boutique shops is always a winner.
- Snaptrip 3-night breaks from £225 per stay
- Airbnb 3-night breaks from £58 per night
- Haven Hopton 3-night breaks from £192 per stay
Isle of Skye
The Isle of Skye wows with its amazing backdrops – from ancient castles and colourful villages to nature spots like the multiple waterfalls of its Fairy Pools.
A great place to visit during the summer months, when the weather is hopefully warm enough to swim, hike and picnic outside, the Isle of Syke is an underrated gem for a staycation.
- Snaptrip 3-night breaks from £381 per stay
- CoolStays 3-night breaks from £82 per night
- LastMinute.com 3-night breaks from £225 per stay
Isle of Wight
Think of the Isle of Wight and dramatic white cliffs, lighthouses and sandy beaches might spring to mind.
It's long been a magnet for family holidays, and continues to be a great seaside, bucket-and-spade destination, with amusement arcades, amazing seafood and lots of outdoorsy activities.
- Snaptrip 3-night breaks from £275 per stay
- Airbnb 3-night breaks from £49 per night
- CoolStays 3-night breaks from £88 per night
The Peak District
Those who like solitude and some good old fashioned peace and quiet will love the Peak District with its ancient stone villages and rolling hills.
Its wild moorland and rocky outcrops give it a bit of edge, and its easy to see the remains of its Anglo-Saxon history.
Ideal for active types, there are hills, valleys and lakes to explore – and very often a cosy cottage to return to afterwards.
- Snaptrip 3-night breaks from £230 per stay
- Sykes Cottages 3-night breaks from £184 per stay
- Peak Cottages 7-night breaks from £293 per stay
The beautiful Pembrokeshire coast certainly gives Cornwall a run for its money, with its colourful seaside towns and perfect sandy beaches.
Walking, surfing and sea kayaking are some of the popular activities here, as well its amazing marine life, which can be seen on a boat trip, castles and cathedrals, and its many towns, packed with shops and local restaurants.
- Snaptrip 3-night breaks from £245 per stay
- Airbnb 3-night breaks from £50 per night
- Haven Kiln Park 3-night breaks from £259 per stay
There's so much to do in Yorkshire, which has everything from wild moors to pretty coastal towns like Whitby and buzzing nightlife in its cities like Leeds.
Its rolling hills are great for walking and cycling and medieval York is a favourite for visitors, with its cobbled streets and tons of history. There are countless other towns and villages to explore, as well as abbey ruins, craggy castles and classical gardens.
- Snaptrip 3-night breaks from £234 per stay
- Sykes Holiday Cottages 3-night breaks from £233 per stay
- Forest Holidays 3-night hot tub lodge breaks from £510 per stay
Home to the Jurassic Coast – a beautiful stretch of shore with golden beaches and bays – Devon is a place that tourists flock to.
It's a very relaxing place, with swimming, kayaking and hiking all set to be memorable activities here. There are also must-see stately homes and forts to explore in the surrounding 'Thomas Hardy country'.
- Snaptrip 3-night breaks from £322 per stay
- Airbnb 3-night breaks from £59 per night
- Haven Dorset Littlesea 3-night breaks from £203 per stay
The Lake District
Outdoor-types will love The Lake District, the UK's most popular national park.
Its got a postcard-perfect landscape of craggy hilltops and glistening lakes, perfect for mountain walks or a just a gentle picnic.
Fans of books will love the region's literary connections, which range fromWilliam Wordsworth to Beatrix Potter.
- Snaptrip 3-night breaks from £336 per stay
- Sykes Holiday Cottages 3-night breaks from £262 per stay
- Lake District Lodge Holidays 3-night breaks from £315 per stay
This article and any featured products have been independently chosen by The Sun journalists. All recommendations within the article are informed by expert editorial opinion. If you click a link and buy a product we may earn revenue: this helps to support The Sun, and in no way affects our recommendations.
Source: Read Full Article