After cancelling last season because of the coronavirus pandemic, the Big 3 will launch its fourth season beginning on July 10th in Las Vegas with various enhancements to its game play.
The Big 3’s 10-week season will be broadcast on CBS, including the league’s season opener at Orleans Arena in Las Vegas and Xavier University in New Orleans, a nod toward the league’s plan to host games at historical Black colleges and universities (HBCU’s). The Big 3 said it received a commitment from former NBA player and 2019 Big 3 MVP Joe Johnson, and plan to announce other player commitments and playoff locations “in the coming weeks.”
Hip-hop mogul Ice Cube and Jeff Kwatinetz, the Big 3 Co-Founders, hoped to delay the start of last season from the summer to the fall and oversee an additional quarantined, reality show 3-on-3 pre-season basketball tournament. But those plans were ultimately halted because of the pandemic. In part of a joint statement, Ice Cube and Kwatinetz said, “after a challenging year, we can’t wait to have our players back on the BIG3 court for the best season yet.”
Below is the schedule that the Big 3 announced on Friday. All games will be shown on CBS with exception to the games on Week 5.
Former Big3 MVP Joe Johnson has committed to return to the league when it begins its fourth season in July. (Photo: Jayne Kamin-Oncea-USA TODAY Sports)
2021 BIG3 Dates:
- Week 1: Saturday, July 10, 2021 | 12:30-3 PM ET at Orleans Arena in Las Vegas, NV
- Week 2: Saturday, July 17, 2021 | 2-4 PM ET at Orleans Arena in Las Vegas, NV
- Week 2: Sunday, July 18, 2021 | 3-6 PM ET at Orleans Arena in Las Vegas, NV
- Week 3: Saturday, July 24, 2021 | 1-3 PM ET at Orleans Arena in Las Vegas, NV
- Week 4: Saturday, July 31, 2021 | 3-6 PM ET at Xavier University in New Orleans, LA
- Week 5: Thursday, August 5, 2021 | 4 PM ET at Xavier University in New Orleans, LA
- Week 6: Saturday, August 7, 2021 | 12-2 PM ET at Xavier University in New Orleans, LA
- Week 7: Saturday, August 14, 2021 | 1-3 PM ET at Orleans Arena in Las Vegas, NV
- Week 8: Saturday, August 21, 2021 | 1-3 PM ET at Orleans Arena in Las Vegas, NV
- Week 9: Saturday, August 28, 2021 | 3-6 PM ET, Location TBA (Playoffs)
- Week 10: Saturday, September 4, 2021 | 3:30-6 PM ET, Location TBA (Championship)
TWITTER FIGHT: Nets’ Kevin Durant addresses social media fight with Michael Rapaport and hamstring injury
MVP CHATTER: Las Vegas oddsmakers agree: James Harden might be right about betting on himself as MVP
The Big 3 also made various changes to game play. It lowered the minimum athlete age from 27 to 22. It will allow both professional and non-professional athletes to participate. And teams to have one challenge per half that will be settled with a one-on-one possession.
The Big 3 said it will coordinate with local health and safety officials and follow the location’s protocols before determining fan attendance.
Source: Read Full Article